login
Username:

Password:

Lost Password?

Register now!

Google

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Pictures of dachshund mix puppies (for rescue)
wiener wonder dog
From U.S., Idaho
Group:
Registered Users
These pups are very young, but I get the impression that some people are purposly mixing dachshund with chihuahua and with basset, thinking this is a good idea.

Is it ok to post this link?

http://search.petfinder.com/search/se ... review=1&scope=1&x=14&y=9

Posted on: 2006/10/10 19:07
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Pictures of dachshund mix puppies (for rescue)
new pup in the park
Group:
Registered Users
Hi,

If I'm looking at the right puppies, the mom was a doxie/chi and dad was a doxie/jack russel, no beagle listed.

I have seen doxie/jack russel pups (which I have seen for sale in the Seattle, WA area) that look like that, pretty cute actually.

I doubt this litter was on purpose, otherwise they would not have ended up at this rescue. During my search for a friend for my baby, I drove hours to that rescue, and that woman does a wonderful job handling all those dogs!!

Posted on: 2006/10/10 23:35

wiener wonder dog
From U.S., Idaho
Group:
Registered Users
I was looking at the price of the dachuahuas/ chisunds.. whatever they'd be called, and $300 - $400 doesn't suggest a rescue (as my search should have pulled up), but muts for sale. I wonder if you can tell if you will have a doxy head and chihuahu body or vice versa. They look cute as puppies, but the doxy personality and those sweet long ears do a great deal for their appeal imo.

I'm curious about personality. And concerned about German Shephard/Doxy mixes and the like. I think that there are laws protecting the mamas.

Posted on: 2006/10/11 17:52

Why does the Sherriff have a miniature dachshund? One day, a cowboy said, "Get a long little doggie."

new pup in the park
Group:
Registered Users
Hi,

I agree it is a lot of money. Around here, $300-$400 for a young pup is common at some of the privately ran rescues, as they do all the feeding, vet care, maint. etc. by themselves.

At the Humane Society or the County/City animal shelters it is normally less (maybe because they get more funding to run). If you want you can

Ha! Yes, protect the Mamas. :) The mama was probably the big dog in those cases. My friend has a big dog, and my Jackson, well...well...let's just say it is a good thing they are both fixed...he still tries to get frisky with her whenever he sees her! He must really think she is his woman or something...

Posted on: 2006/10/11 19:22

wiener wonder dog
From U.S., Idaho
Group:
Registered Users
While I agree with people that there are few good mixes with doxies, I'm curious about what a full-grown chihuahua/dachshund might look like... when it goes as well as possible. And about the temperment.

If anyone comes across a pic or info I'd love to see it.

Posted on: 2006/10/12 22:50

Why does the Sherriff have a miniature dachshund? One day, a cowboy said, "Get a long little doggie."

new pup in the park
Group:
Registered Users
Okay, you peeked my interest and my desire for researching things.

I came across a few things...check out this site for a pic (this particular dog looks more like a chi to me). It appears there is some American Canine Hybrid Club, that calls them Chiweenies. Keep in mind the dogs at the rescue also have Jack Terrier in them. I guess they would be 1/2 doxie, 1/4 chi, and 1/4 terrier.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/chiweenie.htm

The best one though...:) Is the dogster link below, a woman has pics and videos of her dog.

http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?i=242553&j=t

If you are trying to decide if you want one, I would decide fast, as it appears only one is left for adoption.

Posted on: 2006/10/12 23:42

Friend of Hotdog Blog!
From Minnesota
Group:
Registered Users
Personally I think it's wrong to cross breed, but this is just my opinion. There are so many unwanted mixed breeds sitting in shelters right now, some of these mixed breeds are no doubt the result of stray dogs mating, but some are also the result of these people who think it's a good idea to breed two different breeds together. There is no way anyone will convince me that a breeder can put any type of guarantee on a mixed breed dog, and I don't care what two dogs are bred together. These people say they are taking the best qualities of both breeds, and as a result a person is getting a very good dog. First of all, it takes many breedings to bring out the best qualities in any dog, it doesn't just happen the first time a person decides to mate two dogs together. All breeds have their own potential for various medical problems, and it appears that all breeds are subject to genetic problems. When someone decides to breed two different dogs, with two different genetic makeups, there is no possible way one can guarantee this dog, there is no way a person can tell for sure which genetic problem might be thrown by either dog. If you breed a dachshund and a poodle together, which many people are doing, can this breeder say with certainty that this dachsie/poodle mix isn't going to have disc problems? When reputable breeders breed their dachsies together there is no guarantee that these puppies will not have any medical issues, but this breeder can tell a potential buyer what genetic or medical problems this specific breed is more prone to. I have very strong feelings on this issue, simply because these people who decide it's okay to do this mix breeding. These people's have only one goal, and that is to make money, certainly these people aren't striving to preserve any specific breed of dog, nor are they striving to improve their lines!! In my opinion these people are breeding what we all call "mutts", it's as simple as that. If anyone is offended by what I've said I apologize now, but it's not fair that thousands of dogs are living in shelters because nobody wants them. All dogs deserve a loving home, even these dogs we call "mutts", but it's these people who are breeding them on purpose who are contributing to the ever increasing population of unwanted dogs!!!!

Posted on: 2006/10/14 4:50

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

recent topics
How to Buy a Chiffon Dress?
Bloody Nose on a Minnie Dachshund - Help!
Help -puppy habits returning in winter
Doxie barking at other dogs
IOWA Rabies Waiver Bill ACTION ALERT
Fuzzy Nation Doxie up for adoption - low fees no vet bills!
Help - Behavioral Issue - Barking
Is Your Veterinarian Being Honest w/You--ABC News
Vaccines--Dr. W. Jean Dodds Part 2
Titers--Dr. W. Jean Dodds Interviews

sponsors

minimum resolution:
1024w x 768h
CopyRight © 2005 - The Hotdog Blog!
Terms of Service | Additional Terms | Privacy Policy | Spam Policy | Advertising | Site Index