Register now!

Google

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Serious Back Injury- Mini-Dachshund
weenie on a walk
Group:
Registered Users
I have a miniature dachshund who is turning 6 this month, who just experienced a back injury. We aren't sure what happened, we never saw him fall or hurt himself...but we are sure he has slipped/herniated a disc.

My mom took him to the vet yesterday and he was kept overnight and given IV steroid treatments. However, we have him back today, and he is doing worse. He has terrible separation anxiety so we don't think he is a good candidate for surgery. His back legs are very wobbly, he has trouble standing and his legs often slip out from under him. However, he still has bladder/bowel control and it seems that he still has some tail-wagging function.

Has anyone been through this before? I have heard of towel walking, hydrotherapy in a bathtub or baby pool, and "bicycling" and exercising the legs of a paralyzed dog to regain mobility. However, he hasn't even reached that point yet. Right now he will be on steroid pills and kept still/under crate rest for two weeks. I would really appreciate some advice and opinions from anyone who has gone through dealing with a dachshund back injury. Thanks!

Posted on: 2008/11/25 11:43
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Serious Back Injury- Mini-Dachshund
Friend of Hotdog Blog!
Group:
Registered Users
Chances are it is an inflamed disc. Be very careful with him the next two weeks. Make sure that he stays calm and on crate rest and does not miss any of his medication. I have had experience with this. You should notice him improving in a few days if you follow doctors orders. Good luck!!

Posted on: 2008/11/25 12:52

weenie on a walk
Group:
Registered Users
Hi. My Ladybug who is 5 injured her back about 6 weeks ago. All of a sudden she didn't want to go up the stairs and then we got up one morning and she couldn't walk - dragging her back legs, etc. We took her to the emergency vet (as it was Sat). They did the IV steroid therapy also and some heavy pain meds. She too could wag her tail and had bowel control. We brought her home and put her in a kennel for 24 hours a day. It was supposed to be for 2 weeks but I have kept her there about 5 weeks. The problem is, she is my most active doxie. She races around the house, leaps off everything and plays ball till she literally falls asleep with it in her mouth. She is also very overweight (we can never figure out why because she is so active). So she is on a strict diet to lose 10 lbs and is finishing up her steroid pills. They told us she can never do the stairs again, play ball or jump. Its very difficult. We carried her outside and kept her on a leash so she could potty and then picked her up and carried her right back to her kennel. I just started letting her out for a few hours in the evenings and she is back to her old self.

However, she is also wanting to run and jump. We got x-rays done and they said she has several calcified disks. Apparently this is the age that most doxies start having back problems. We have blocked off the stairs and try to follow her around to make sure she doesn't get too wild. However, I have 6 dogs that love to wrestle and play.

I am just so worried about her, she is so young and full of life. We hope that getting the weight off her and trying to keep her somewhat calm will help. I figured one of my elderly doxies would have this problem, not my 5 year old. We have decided to keep her kenneled whenever we are not around to keep her safe.

Good luck.

Posted on: 2008/11/25 12:58

Friend of Hotdog Blog!
From Alabama
Group:
Registered Users
Just a thought...

Veterinary Chiropractic
Adapted from Holistic Guide for a Healthy Dog,by Wendy Volhard and Kerry Brown, D.V.M.

Veterinary chiropractic in the dog is relatively new. It excels in the treatment of biommechanical problems thus minimizing, if not eliminating, objectionable gait deficits due to misalignments. Veterinary chiropractic can be used in conjunction with conventional veterinary medicine, and shouldn’t be considered a replacement.

The following relationships between organic diseases and spinal subluxations can be made. The reader is advised that the disease entities listed below may also have causes beyond simple chiropractic subluxations, and that the dog under treatment be examined by a conventional veterinarian prior to referral to a veterinary chiropractor.

Cervical subluxations, especially of the atlas, occiput and axis, can be related to various behavioral abnormalities.,br>

The slow learner

The hyperactive dog

Attention deficit disorders

Blurred vision, especially in certain types of fear-biters

Sound sensitivity

Recurrent ear infections

Certain varieties of seizures

Olfactory disorders ,p>

Mid-and-lower-cervical subluxations can be related to:

Motion sickness

Certain anxiety states

Lick granulomas

Hypothyroidism
Subluxations in the thoraic region between the shoulder bleads can be related to:

Hypothyroidism

Heart problems, especially mitral valve insufficiencies in older dogs

Liver disorders

Digestive disorders
While every dog is an individual, certain aspects of history and physical findings are consistent for the new canine chiropractic patient. The following are not in order of incidence, but dogs that have one or more of the examples listed should ideally be examined by an experienced, qualified animal chiropractor.

Hit by a car

Playing, then becoming acutely lame.

“Body Slammiong”—patient is sideswiped by another dog while playing and gets rolled.

Fell

Lost balance while running and hit wall, tree, door, etc.

Any dog working in obedience

All German Shepherds over four years of age

Dogs that play Frisbee

Decreasing performance

Dogs that have been under general anesthesia

Dog that cannot jump on couch, bed., etc.

Poor leash manners

Posted on: 2008/11/25 13:11

'If God is for us, who can be against us?'
(Romans 8:31)

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"

alpha wiener
Group:
Registered Users
What did your vet recommend?

Posted on: 2008/11/25 18:07

Baron (Baronin) von Wienerschnitzel
From London, Ontario, Canada
Group:
Registered Users
I had a foster dog (doxie) that had back problems, chiropractics worked WONDERS! She had lost a lot of her bowel and bladder control and hopped around, with the chiropractics she grained most of the use of her control and she was using her back legs to actually walk. I would suggest checking into it.

Posted on: 2008/11/25 18:40

Baron (Baronin) von Wienerschnitzel
From Alabama
Group:
Registered Users
Wishing you all the best... I know what you are going thru.
Hugs, Sherry

Posted on: 2008/11/25 19:08
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-- Author Unknown

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

recent topics
How to Make Good Friends with a Beautiful Girl?
Which one should I Pick?
How to Buy a Chiffon Dress?
Bloody Nose on a Minnie Dachshund - Help!
Help -puppy habits returning in winter
Doxie barking at other dogs
IOWA Rabies Waiver Bill ACTION ALERT
Fuzzy Nation Doxie up for adoption - low fees no vet bills!
Help - Behavioral Issue - Barking
Is Your Veterinarian Being Honest w/You--ABC News

sponsors

minimum resolution:
1024w x 768h
CopyRight © 2005 - The Hotdog Blog!
Terms of Service | Additional Terms | Privacy Policy | Spam Policy | Advertising | Site Index