Register now!

Google

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Long haired and grooming question
alpha wiener
Group:
Registered Users
I am looking to adopt a long haired dachsie. How often do they need hair cuts? Can someone tell me what it takes to take care of a long hair? Thanks

Posted on: 2007/10/13 9:29

Re: Long haired and grooming question
Friend of Hotdog Blog!
Group:
Registered Users
Hi and Welcome to the Hotdog Blog! Longhaired Dachshunds should NEVER be trimmed. They are very easy to maintain with a thorough brushing every day or so. Trust me, they're so wonderful and cuddly that like me, you won't be able to keep your hands off your wiener! He doesn't shed even a 10th as much as our shorthair Annabel.

All joking aside. We adopted our Brownie at age 2 and he arrived at our doorstep over-washed and freshly clipped and VERY BADLY SO. It has taken nearly 3 years (it will be 3 years in February) for his coat to grow back in properly.

Here is a sample of Before and After.

Attach file:

jpg  Fur Butter Testimonial.jpg (135.11 KB)
129_4710bbd15654d.jpg 517X582 px

Posted on: 2007/10/13 9:37

I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

alpha wiener
Group:
Registered Users
Funny, I just noticed my posted stated it was my first post. I have posted before, maybe as many as 50 times.

Anyway a long haired never needs cut? Just wash and brush? Glad I asked. Thanks

Posted on: 2007/10/13 9:42

Baron (Baronin) von Wienerschnitzel
From London, Ontario, Canada
Group:
Registered Users
I have seen many longhair's cut before. Their hair tends to grow back in a little poofy and there's a chance that it will not grow back in the same condition it was, so it could be a lot shorter, coarser, lighter, etc. Apparently it's not all that common but it's something to think about if you're going to clip.

If you don't have the time to groom/brush every day or every other day then you may want to consider clipping. In the end you get a doxie that looks smooth on the body but still has a flag on the tail, feathering on the legs and nice long hair on the ears. If you decided to get it done check with the groomer your thinking about and ask if they've done longhaired doxies before, then ask for a reference.

Posted on: 2007/10/13 11:26

Friend of Hotdog Blog!
From LIVERPOOL UK
Group:
Registered Users
I have three mini longs, I groom them thoroughly once per week, and the longer hair on ears and tails at least twice more concentrating on the longhair where the ear rubs against the head,matted bits can form there very quickly.

The paw hair is trimmed monthly as are the nails. No other part needs to be cut provided they are groomed as mentioned. Dachsies don't like having their paws touched so get them used to you touching the paws when they are lying by you, this will help when it comes to the pedicure later.

Long haired dachsies don't get their full coat till they are 3 or 4 years old, the type of coat will depend on if there are only long haired dachsies in their pedigree,this will produce the better coat than if there are smooth coats mixed in.

Here is a pic of 4 mini long dachsies Ages 4,3,2yrs and 18 months old, the eldest belongs to my Mum

Good Luck with getting a dachsie.

Rhona

Attach file:

jpg  Calendar 2008 [7].jpg (823.42 KB)
1048_4710ee923f182.jpg 2627X1716 px

Posted on: 2007/10/13 13:14

wiener wonder dog
From Dacula, GA
Group:
Registered Users
zeus...
i am a dog groomer and a happy owner of 3 longhaired dachshunds too. you never have to trim a dachshunds hair on there body except there feet and a sanitary
(peepee and butt area) if you shave the hair on a longhaired doxie the hair alwas grows back looking horrible!! i would never do it! but the hair in between the toepads and on the top of there feet will get alittle long if not cared for monthly! you can also trim with scissors the hair on the ears and tail if you like it looking alittle shorter but never shave! i hope this helps alittle if you want step by step and other things you can email me i would be happy to help. you can also just bring your new baby to the groomers once a month and just say feet and sanitary trim and thats all u need to say! good luck!

Attach file:

jpg  avachaotis.jpg (40.59 KB)
3105_4710f3ff830c2.jpg 600X450 px

Posted on: 2007/10/13 13:36

Gräf (Gräfin) von Wolfin
From Indiana
Group:
Registered Users
having never had a LH Dachshie til recently, I found this thread very interesting & helpful...mine are 5 & 3 mos old, so don't have enough to worry about clipping anywhere yet, but I need to know for later on...so thanks, everyone! (those are some mighty pretty LHs showing in the pics :)

Posted on: 2007/10/13 17:14

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

recent topics
How to Make Good Friends with a Beautiful Girl?
Which one should I Pick?
How to Buy a Chiffon Dress?
Bloody Nose on a Minnie Dachshund - Help!
Help -puppy habits returning in winter
Doxie barking at other dogs
IOWA Rabies Waiver Bill ACTION ALERT
Fuzzy Nation Doxie up for adoption - low fees no vet bills!
Help - Behavioral Issue - Barking
Is Your Veterinarian Being Honest w/You--ABC News

sponsors

minimum resolution:
1024w x 768h
CopyRight © 2005 - The Hotdog Blog!
Terms of Service | Additional Terms | Privacy Policy | Spam Policy | Advertising | Site Index